Memorial Day Trivia
Thank you again for your participation in our Memorial Day Trivia
- Decoration Day, the commemorative holiday that eventually was renamed Memorial Day, was officially established in what year?
- When was Memorial Day moved from May 30 to the last Monday in May?
- Which of these Memorials to the fallen was the first to be established on Washington’s National Mall?
Vietnam Veterans Memorial
- Which of these major sporting events traditionally takes place every Memorial Day weekend?
- Every year since the early 1920s, paper versions of this flower are widely distributed by veterans groups in the U.S. shortly before Memorial Day.
- This military memorial just outside of Washington, often referred to as the “Iwo Jima memorial” because it features a sculpture of a scene from the famous World War II battle, salutes this branch of the military services.
- This woman served as a battlefield nurse during the Civil War, earning the nickname “Angel of the Battlefield,” and founded the American Red Cross in 1881.
- On Memorial Day, U.S. flags are to be flown at half-staff until:
- “I hate war as only a soldier who has lived it can, only as one who has seen its brutality, its futility, its stupidity,” said this former soldier who became a U.S. president.
Dwight D. Eisenhower
- Who has been credited as the first to declare that shops are closed for one day to honor the soldiers coming back from the Civil War?